Tuesday, November 20, 2007


Alpaca Hat for My Nephew
My sister has in-laws on Martha's Vineyard. I asked for alpaca yarn since I know there's a farm close to their house. One rainy day they visited the farm and purchased one skein of rich brown yarn. My mom is currently working on a hat for me.
Meanwhile, my nephew, who is 10, very very bright and a really nice young man too, asked for an alpaca hat for himself. He didn't really specify style or color however my sister was very clear--the hat needed to match his black ski jacket. So off to my LYS I went. I picked up several skeins of Frog Tree Alpaca in sport weight. I started with two strands of black then switched to black and charcoal. Then two strands of charcoal. I think you can see the variations if you look for them in the photo. Next will be a strand of charcoal and a strand of flannel grey, then two strands of flannel and then flannel and ecru, if the length is short of what I need. The decrease rows with be red, perhaps with thinner stripes in reverse order. I hope to finish it before Thanksgiving so I can give it to him.

No comments: